Come back soon for more. Trying to get in with a Psychiatrist to begin Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Similarities

I have made a new friend. I am excited about this all on it's own. But on top of just having another friend this friend has a son who is bipolar... and she gets me! We texted back and forth for awhile today. We talked a lot about our sons and their struggles and our struggles through them. I have thought often how many similarities there seem to be between Tourettes/OCD and autism, and there are. But in talking to my friend today I really see a lot of similarities between Tourettes/OCD and being bipolar. I was surprised at first and then realized I wasn't all that surprised at all. He has the major mood swings. He is affectionate, friendly, talkative, kind, happy. Then suddenly he is not. He is grumpy, rude, distant, depressed acting. (Which is part of what reminds me of autism) New friend said that sounds very much like what her son does.

So I am going to start looking into whether there are real medical similarities or if we have a wrong diagnosis or if there is one more thing going on with Isaiah. Research here we come. This always stresses me and bums me out but seems necessary incase we need to be treating Isaiah differently as far as medication and therapy is concerned.

What I enjoyed about talking to her is that, she gets how hard it is to move forward sometimes. You deal, you think you have excepted it, and then the entire disorder, personality, symptoms, whatever the case may be changes up on you. I have found that even mom's who have children with other disorders, while compassionate, just don't get your inability to move on. She understood all too well. How and why that is so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment